Refuting The Da Vinci
The DaVinci Code by author Dan Brown is a best-selling novel with movie following in May, 2006. The plot undermines the essential beliefs about the origins of Christianity. Though it poses as a fictional novel, it begins with a Fact page: All descriptions of artwork, architecture, documents, and secret rituals in this novel are accurate. Yet, many of the descriptions are inaccurate, misleading, and fabrications. Below is a partial list of errors the book purports along with brief refutations.
1. The Louvre Pyramid has 666 window panes corresponding with the number of Satan (p.21). Not true. There are 673 and have nothing to do with Satan.1
2. The Dead Sea Scrolls were found in the 1950s, tell the true Grail story, speak of Christs ministry in human terms, and survived Emperor Constantines plot to destroy them (p.234). They were actually discovered in the 1940s, say nothing about the Grail story, confirm the authenticity of the Old Testament, and had nothing to do with Emperor Constantine.
The Christian story of the
Magi bringing baby Jesus gifts was borrowed from a Hindu story about
4. The scientist Robert Boyle was a Grand Master of the Priory of Sion, thus against formal and historical Christianity (p.326). Rather, he was a devoted Christian. For instance he wrote: The Christian Religion brings mankind diverse positive Benefits, such as are, more cleare and extensive knowledg of God, and divine things; the Remission of Sins; the Favour of God; severall graces and vertues suitable to mens respective needs and conditions; and above all, a happy Immortality in the Life to come.2 (Old English)
5. Leonardo DaVinci was a flamboyant homosexual (p.45). According to most of his biographers, he was falsely accused of this. DaVinci was celibate, non-sexual. None of his massive writings indicate any sexual activity. He wrote, Intellectual passion drives out sensuality.3
6. The Last Supper painting by Leonardo DaVinci supplies hidden codes and Mary Magdalene sits next to Jesus (p.243). The painting is a scene from John 13:21-24. DaVinci did not include Mary Magdalene. John is youthful looking because he was the youngest. Florentine artists of DaVincis period often characterized young, unmarried men with feminine facial features to contrast with older, breaded men with rougher features. DaVincis painting of John the Baptist is similar.
Jesus marriage to Mary Magdalene is of historical
record (p.244), and they had a daughter named
Sarah whom Mary bore in
8. The Merovingian bloodline is from Christ and there are descendents today named Plantard and Saint-Clair. The ancient secret society of the Priory of Sion holds this knowledge (pp.257, 442). According to the early Church fathers (Clement, Tertullian, Athenagoras, Methodius and numerous others) Jesus was a virgin all of His life, never married, and had no offspring. The ancient Priory of Sion was not secret and rather unremarkable.4
80 gospels were considered
for the New Testament.
11. Thousands of ancient documents chronicled Jesus life as merely a moral man (p.234). Wheres the proof of Browns claim. Even many of the erroneous Gnostic apocryphal books revere Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior (i.e. Gospel of Thomas, The Acts of Peter and the Twelve Apostles, The Dialogue of the Savior).
Before the Council of
13. Jesus never claimed to be God (p.232). False, here is Matthew 26:63-64 in which the high priest was interrogating Jesus: And the high priest answered and said to Him, I put You under oath by the living God: Tell us if You are the Christ, the Son of God! Jesus said to him, It is as you said. Nevertheless, I say to you, hereafter you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven." Jesus also said, I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. (John 11:25-26).
14. Thousands of documents and tens of thousands of pages of Sangreal documents from the first few centuries chronicle Jesus life as a mortal man and reveal His bloodline (pp.234, 256).This is a complete fabrication. Dan Brown, show us the proof?
15. Jesus death and resurrection were from a myth and his followers knew he was only a mortal man (pp.232-233). Not true. Here are two of his followers: Tertullian (207 AD): Against Marcion God lived with men as man that man might be taught to live the divine life; God lived on mans level, that man might be able to live on Gods level: God was found weak, that man might become most great. If you disdain a God like this, I doubt if you can wholeheartedly believe in a God who was crucified.5 Clement (96 AD): 1st Epistle of Clement to the Corinthians Think, my dear friends, how the Lord offers proof after proof that there is going to be a resurrection, of which He has made Jesus Christ the first-fruits by raising Him from the dead.6
1 Glass on Web: www.glassonweb.com/articles/article/94/
or contact us at:
Take A Stand!
All Rights Reserved © 2006, Eric Barger
If you are not already a subscriber to Take A Stand! O N L I N E click here!
Take A Stand! Ministries - POB 1485 - Rowlett, TX 75030